Spring treatment of currants from diseases and pests is one of the most important measures for the care of black, white or red currants. Currant processing is very important for the proper development of the shrub. Among the spring affairs gardener currant processing should be in the first place. Currants are often affected by various pests and diseases.
Timely sprayingwhich is carried out, as a rule, in the spring, helps to reliably protect the berry bush from dangerous diseases, from ubiquitous pests, as well as from fungal diseases. The main thing - to carry out spraying in due form. If in the spring the gardener mobilizes all his forces in time to combat pests, in the summer care of currants will be much easier. Currants of any varieties must be sprayed from pests and diseases. The main thing - to handle shrubs correctly, in compliance with all rules and safety.
The benefits and harms of processing
Spring Currant Processing - An effective method of dealing with serious diseases and pests. It is from competent processing of the shrub (as a rule, it is spraying), depends on its yield. It is best to carry out the treatment of diseases and pests, when the kidneys have not yet opened. You can do it in early spring. Once the snow has completely melted, you can safely carry out the treatment.
If the spring is early, you can handle the shrub from diseases and pests as early as the end of March - the beginning of April. If the spring is not in a hurry to attack, you can slightly move the preventive and therapeutic spraying. Each gardener independently decides when to spray the bushes based on weather conditions and the readiness of the plant for the onset of spring.
Many gardeners believe that it makes sense to spray currants and treat them from diseases in other ways only in cases where the plant has pronounced signs of a disease. They do not see the point in the preventive treatment of plants, because any spraying - it is an invasion from the outside. Opponents of preventive spraying claim that if you frequently spray berry bushes in the spring, aggressive chemicals can adversely affect the growth and development of the shrub.
Also, if the gardener has not noticed blooming buds on the currant, spraying with industrial chemicals can destroy the buds, and then the harvest can no longer be expected. Nevertheless, most amateur gardeners and experts still believe that spring spraying, including preventive - effective method of getting rid of many problems. Supporters of this opinion cite the following arguments in favor of operational control of diseases and pests:
- In the spring, when the plant is still emerging from a period of physiological dormancy, it is especially susceptible to proper care, therefore spraying from pests and parasites will only benefit,
- Spraying pests and parasites helps in time to stop the development of dangerous diseases that, if not properly cared for, can lead to the destruction of the shrub,
- It is not at all necessary to use harsh industrial chemicals for pest and parasite control. Many traditional means of combating major currant infections act effectively and at the same time rather gently, without negatively affecting the growth and development of plants,
- Spring spraying of berry bushes mobilizes the protective forces of plants and, provided that they are regularly processed, it helps the plants to develop their own immunity to dangerous diseases.
Pest control treatments
- Many inexperienced gardeners mistakenly believe that caring for currants in the spring is only a preventive spraying. In fact, the list of main activities for the care of the currants in the spring is much wider. In the spring, when the plant is still awakening from hibernation and preparing for the new season, it is very important to reliably protect the shrub from many dangers: from night frosts, from the onset of pests or parasites, as well as from infection with fungal infections. For competent care for currants in the spring you need:
- As often as possible, visually inspect the shrub for damage by pests and diseases. In early spring, when there are no leaves on the currant and even the buds have not yet opened, it is very convenient to inspect the shrub,
- Inspection is carried out as follows: the gardener gently pushes the branches of a bush and examines their shape, color and elasticity. It is also necessary to examine the soil around the bush, because traces of many dangerous pests and parasites can be found in the soil,
- Branches affected by diseases or pests should be carefully trimmed with shears and immediately burned,
- If necessary, spraying can be carried out using industrial chemicals or folk remedies,
- Spraying is recommended not one-time, but a course consisting of several procedures with interruptions.
Major diseases and pests
Most often currants suffer from such diseases and pests., as:
- Terry This is a viral disease that causes leaf deformation,
- Mealy dew. Mealy dew and a disease similar to it called mildew are varieties of dangerous fungal infections,
- Spider mite Especially often the tick settles on those shrubs that grow in the shade and almost do not see the sun,
- Currant aphid. This insect is a serious threat to the normal growth and development of currants. Aphid is very voracious and multiplies very quickly. If time does not take action, the plant can literally be left without leaves.
Supporters of folk methods control disease and pests are considered. That the use of harsh industrial chemicals adversely affects the growth of currants and the taste of its berries. To some extent this is true, but only partly. Modern preparations used for spraying berry bushes have a “gentle” effect and do not contain substances that negatively affect the development of currants and the nutritional value of berries.
Supporters of industrial preparations It is argued that the use of fungicides and insecticides helps to quickly get rid of problems. Compared with folk remedies, ready-made drugs for the treatment of currants are much faster. This is true, but if the shrub is very badly affected, it will be necessary to use an industrial preparation product several times, intermittently.
Recently, breeders actively remove new varieties of currants, which have natural immunities to powdery mildew and viral infections. However, such varieties do not have immunity to dangerous pests and parasites, and this is their significant disadvantage. It is much easier to protect currants from diseases than from insects. The main thing is to avoid stagnant moisture in the soil. Moderate watering and regular loosening is an excellent prevention of any fungal diseases.
How to process currants in spring
Each amateur gardener has his own method of traditional spring spraying. Chemical supporters most often use karbofos or the so-called Bordeaux liquid. Also, many gardeners with experience speak well about the beneficial properties of a solution of colloidal sulfur.
Supporters of "grandmother's methods" are most often used in the fight against insect pests ashes. Ash effectively fights insects, but has no practical use in the fight against dangerous fungi and viruses. In order to get rid of the powdery mildew or the terry, many gardeners buy tar soap in the hardware stores, lather a washcloth or a rag in it and wash the currant branches.
Such a “bath” not only helps to get rid of dangerous diseases, but also frightens off pests, since they do not like the specific smell of tar soap. Another effective way to get rid of pests is to pour boiling water over the currant bush. This should be done strictly before the opening of the kidneys, otherwise the kidneys will die under the action of high temperature. When working with hot water, you need to follow safety precautions so as not to burn yourself.
Pest Spraying: The Right Technology
If the gardener decided to spray currants with industrial preparations, it must be borne in mind that most of these preparations work most efficiently, if the air temperature is approaching twenty degrees. In cold weather, the chemical reactions on which the action of such preparations is based proceed very slowly, and therefore spraying will not bring the desired benefit.
It is also not recommended to spray in the rain, because the rain will wash away the sprayed preparation from the branches, and nothing will come out of the treatment. If the gardener has decided to pour currant water over the currants to control pests, this should also be done on a warm day, preferably at noon or after dinner, when the air is already warm. If you curl currants with boiling water on a cold day, the branches of the bush can warp, crack or even die from a sharp temperature drop.
Spray need to wear protective glovesobserving all precautions. If chemicals get on your skin, eyes or mouth, rinse the affected area with plenty of water and seek medical attention.
In order to currant pleased good harvest, it must necessarily be protected from disease and pests. AND it is advisable to do it as early as possible. To determine what means to use when spraying, you can consult with experienced gardeners, read reviews on the Internet, to study the specialized literature. It is also a good idea to have at least minimal knowledge in the field of chemistry and biology in order to imagine in general terms the principle of action of insecticides and fungicides of industrial production.
In time thinking about preparing the currants for the summer, the gardener can not only save the crop, but also protect the plant from many problems.
Standard care for berry plantations includes prophylactic treatment of diseases and plant parasites, which is carried out several times during the growing season of black and red fruit. The first time to handle berry bushes should be in the early spring. Of course, it is impossible to predict in advance which of the harmful factors the plant will hit in the upcoming season, therefore it is very important to carry out comprehensive plant protection.
When choosing an agent for such treatments, it is very important to take into account the fact that it is not recommended to use strong chemicals during flowering. which are often the cause of flower burns, and are also detrimental to beneficial pollinating insects. Also during the prevention it is necessary to remember that the greatest efficiency of the used means is marked with strict observance of the terms and the processing scheme. Competent spring spraying can not only rid currant bushes from most pests and parasites, but also allow the berry plantations to fully develop and provide high-quality fruiting.
The treatment of garden plantations has some differences from preventive measures. When treating berry bushes, plants must be processed from a specific disease and as soon as possible. The sooner the affected plant is detected and the damage factor is diagnosed, the more effective the fight against the disease or plant parasite will be.
If prophylaxis involves a complex effect on a number of damaging factors, then during treatment measures the effect of the selected drug is narrowly targeted and allows the berry plantings to be relieved of a particular pest or pathogen. During treatment, the lesion should be correctly differentiated, the medical treatment should be selected correctly and the active ingredient.
The need for this procedure
Efficient, comfortable and sooooo fast. When you need to lose 3-4 pounds per week. Read more here.
Many beginners in the garden business with no experience behind them are wondering why this procedure is worth doing. This is necessary to obtain high-quality and tasty crop of currants! It is also desirable to begin fighting pests no later than early spring.
It is important to remember! The sooner measures are taken to treat the branches and young shoots of currants, the more likely it is that pests or diseases that appeared in the fall or winter will strike the culture to a minimum.
Emaciated Stepanenko: I weighed 108, and now 65. At night she drank warm. Read more here.
In order for a currant to be healthy and well fruited, you need to follow a few rules:
- After the snow melts in spring, but no later than the moment when the buds on the trees begin to swell, all excess and dried branches should be cut,
- If the currant is processed and sprayed before the buds are dissolved, it will prevent the emergence of pathogenic bacteria in the early stages,
- The branches of a bush should not touch the ground. It is better to put a support or tie up. This will help keep the berries healthy and clean at the time of ripening,
- In the first months of heat after winter, not only fruit crops, but also harmful insects awaken from sleep. To avoid this, you need to remove all fallen leaves, branches and other debris from under the plants.
Tip! Currant bushes should be treated for diseases and pests in early March, but not later than the middle. April. Failure to comply with the above rules will lead to illness and destruction of the shrub.
Diseases and pests
Currant is a tidbit for a huge number of different parasites and pathogenic bacteria. But before processing it, you need to clearly understand what hurts a bush or who hit it.
The following pests are known, who love to taste young leaves and fruit juice:
- the moth is renal,
- spider mite,
- aphid on shoots
- aphid gallic
- gooseberry firing.
I was able to get rid of ARTHROSIS AND OSTEOCHONDROSIS PER MONTH! Operations are not needed. Read more here.
There is also a list of the most common diseases of currants:
- terry (reversion),
- powdery mildew,
- gray rot
- white spot (septoria),
- cuprock and columnar rust,
- drying of shoots.
The peak of disease occurs in the spring, when the bush grows, buds swell and leaves appear. Reduce the risk of disease and get a great harvest will help in time processing the bush.
When to carry out the procedure, the optimal time
Save the crop in 90-95% of cases allows strict adherence to the processing schedule and spraying currant bush.
So when should these procedures be carried out? There are the following time frames of work:
- The very first treatment of currant is carried out until the buds swell, which helps prevent the reproduction of all pathogenic bacteria that have settled in the shoots in the fall for wintering,
- The second treatment is carried out until the appearance of buds. In this case, all malicious parasites that have not had time to begin their stormy livelihoods die,
- After flowering buds processing is necessary to maintain the growth and ripening of berries. It protects currant bushes from adverse environmental conditions. Spraying bushes spend three times. The first time, after 10 days after the start of the formation of fruits. Then take a break of 10 days and spray again.
Caution! During the entire flowering period it is impossible to spray currant bushes with chemical preparations. As a result of such insect spraying, the crop may become unsuitable for eating.
If the spraying procedures were not performed on time for any reason, then the following spraying should not be done with an increased dose of chemical or biological preparations. Just need as soon as possible to process the bushes to destroy garden pests.
Based on this, the time spent currant bushes within a clearly defined time frame in early spring will be able to protect the crop from diseases and harmful insects and end up with beautiful and tasty berries.
Preparations for treatment black, red and white currants
Usually the processing of different types of currants does not differ from each other. After all, malicious insects in the same period of time are populated both on black, white, and red currant.
But there are parasites that prefer one type of currant to another:
- Zlatka, for example, chooses black currant,
- Leaf aphid (gallic) and leaf sawfly prefer shoots of red and white shrubs,
- Mole (bud) does not tolerate blackcurrant,
- Kidney mite preferably settled in black currant. On red and white it is rarely met.
This must be remembered when processing and spraying black, red or white currant.
Считаются наиболее безопасными для растений в отличие от химических. Поэтому они чаще всего используются весной для опрыскивания. Today there is a huge amount of quality products to protect the garden from pests.
Important! Currant bushes spring should take place at a temperature of 13C and above. At lower ambient temperatures, any biological spraying will not give the desired result.
The most effective and common are:
Important to remember! A huge minus of biological products is that there is a rapid development of culture at temperatures below + 13C. Therefore, the first two phases of currant bush treatment with such preparations are skipped. The first spraying is carried out only after the end of flowering plants.
In the event that the spring at a rapid pace comes into its own and nothing foretells frost, then you can use biological products.
All chemical insecticides have a high rate of penetration and without much effort cope with absolutely any kind of plant diseases or the invasion of harmful insects. The preparations are not harmful to humans and currants in the event that the spraying of the bushes passes before and after the flowering of the buds. The most well-known and effective chemicals are:
- Fufanon. The drug has a broad spectrum of action. It helps to fight with aphids, mites, sawflies, gallitsa and shield. Preparation of fufanon: 10 ml of the preparation for 1 bucket of water. For irrigation, use no more than one liter of diluted product per bush. Fufanon sprayed in such a way that he ran water droplets from the branches and currant leaves.
- Actellic EC. They are treated with currant bushes in early spring from insects such as mite, sawfly, aphid, moth. Dilute the solution from the flow rate of 2 grams. drug 2 liters. The effect of the drug lasts for a month.
- Anometrinom-H. Experienced gardeners advise spraying currants to destroy aphids and sawflies, as well as to prevent their occurrence.
- Aktara KS. The concentration of this solution in water is only 2 grams. on 10 liters. Completely destroys aphids. The effect persists for two months.
- Prophylactic FEM. Spraying is carried out from insects hibernating on currant branches at a temperature of + 40 ° C.
The following chemicals are used for the treatment of diseases and for the purposes of prevention:
- Topaz. Dilute the drug should be strictly according to the instructions. Used in the fight against rust and powdery mildew.
- Chloroxide copper. Helps to conquer spotting, anthracnose, rust.
- Bordeaux mixture. Effective in the fight against fungal diseases. Initially prepare a solution of lime and then pour into it a solution, diluted strictly according to the instructions.
- Copper sulfate. It is recommended to use as a preventive measure against harmful fungal diseases.
- Urea (urea). White granules, soluble in water. When released into the soil, in about 2 days, under the action of bacteria is converted into ammonium carbonate. Urea is well absorbed by the plant and leaves no burns on the leaves.
Note! Spraying various products can not only destroy harmful insects, but also destroy the entire crop of currants.
Folk methods and means
Also for the care and treatment of currants used folk remedies. These methods were formed, used and proved their effectiveness more than once by many generations of gardeners. They are the safest of all methods, both for all plants in the garden, and for the person himself. The following are the best known and best folk recipes:
- A solution of onion and garlic. In the total amount they take about 100 grams., Finely cut, pour a bucket of water and insist during the day. The resulting solution is filtered and sprayed currants at the rate of a bucket of 2-3 bush,
- A mixture of shredded tobacco and ash. Take 100 grams. Each of the components is poured with 10 liters of water. Then insist and allow the particles to settle to the bottom of the tank. One bucket of this solution is enough for 3-4 currant bush,
- A saturated solution of birch tar or laundry soap. Preparation: take 200 gr. of one or another ingredient, grate on a coarse grater and dilute in a bucket of warm water.
Important! This solution is used for 5 days until the result is visible.
In such ways you can quite effectively handle currants and gooseberry from diseases and harmful insects.
The variety in our time of drugs for the destruction and prevention of pests helps to completely get rid of the problem in a short period of time. After cleaning the plants from insects, constant monitoring is necessary.
From all the above, we can conclude that the processing of currants in early spring from insect pests and various diseases is necessary for all. This has a positive effect on obtaining a good harvest. For a more detailed understanding and understanding of the care of currants is recommended to view video at the end of the article.
Watch the video! Processing (spraying) currants and gooseberries from pests and diseases in the spring
Why is spring currant treatment necessary?
In the spring, as soon as the snow melts, and the soil around the bushes dries out, it is necessary to begin the revision of currant bushes. Have time to cut out damaged by disease, pests, bad weather. Until the movement of juice began, the buds did not bloom.
At this time, the plant is easier to tolerate and anti-aging pruning. Facilitates the identification of mechanical damage the absence of leaves. Pest-infected buds and stems are clearly visible.
The second stage of spring processing. Thorough cleaning of the wheel circle. All last year’s foliage needs to be raked from under the bushes and disposed of: burn it, take it to a landfill.
Cleaning last year's spring foliage is necessary. Spores of fungi, pathogens, larvae of pests, pupae; all this is in them.
After the sanitary pruning is done and the leaves are cleaned, the bushes should be sprayed, they should be done before the buds swell, it helps to destroy the overwintering pests. Need to buy a garden sprayer. The choice is large, the models offer:
The treatment solution is prepared before use. Work carried out in the morning or evening in the absence of wind and rain.
In the soil under the bushes there may be hibernating phases of pests (sawfly, galley) and infections causing currant diseases (anthracnose, rust). You can neutralize them if you dig up the ground under the bushes. From the currant sawfly protects the film, laid under the bushes. It is recommended to lay it before tying the buds. Clean up after flowering.
Powdery mildew causative agent fungal infection. Disputes are not afraid of low temperatures, persist in last year's foliage, fruits, and sprouts. A diseased plant appears white on young leaves and shoots at the initial stage resembles a spider web, and later white felt.
- to withering leaves,
- cracking and dropping of fruits
- curvature and death of young branches.
Causes of the disease: thickened planting, weeds that grow under the shrub. Vector dispute: wind, insects. Recommend: inspect the landing (autumn, spring), cut off the diseased branches. Before the appearance of the leaves to process the solution:
- copper sulphate - 300 g,
- a bucket of water (10 l).
Further processing is carried out with a solution:
- soda ash - 50 g,
- laundry soap - 50 g,
- water (10 l).
First spraying soda, hold before flowering. Then three more times every 10 days.
If the bushes are badly damaged, you can resort to chemical treatment. Recommend the fungicide Topaz. The drug is not washed off by rain, protects all parts of the plant. The price is affordable.
Observing the recommended standards, you can ensure safe use without harm to people, bees, birds, animals. The drug is recommended for use in private households and cottages.
The causative agent is a fungus. Suffering young growth. The surface of the shoots and leaves. Disputes overwinter in fallen leaves and branches. Symptoms of infection appear closer to the end of the summer. You can learn by the following features:
- brown spots on the leaves,
- twisted leaves
- premature leaves,
- no gain,
- brown ulcers on the leaf stalks.
The spread of the disease contributes to a warm wet summer. The struggle to begin at the first signs. The first thing to clean up around the bushes. Collect and destroy fallen leaves. Pry up all the weeds. Dig the soil around the sore bush to a depth of 10 cm. Turn over the layers of the earth. Spraying is carried out at least four times. Follow the scheme:
- Spring. Before the appearance of the kidneys. Spray with nitrfenom (3%).
- Summer. Before flowering. Use 1% Bordeaux liquid. Repeat after 10 days.
- Autumn. Last processing. Suitable nitrofen and Bordeaux liquid.
Cause septoria spores of the fungus. Signs of diseased currants:
- leaves with white spots and brown edging,
- the center of the spots is covered with dots of black,
- fallen leaves
- shoots at the base of the stalks are covered with the same white spots,
- on the berries are visible small brown spots, which eventually turn white. The center of the spots is covered with black dots.
In currant bushes infected with streptosis, leaves fall off in the second half of summer. They provoke the spread of septoria hot, rainy summer, thickened planting. They fight septoria as well as anthracnose.
Symptoms of goblet rust appear in the spring. These are small orange formations resembling pads. You can see them on flowers, fruits and leaf plates. They are the formation of a dispute. Affected parts of the currant fall.
It is suggested for the fight with glass rust:
- mow or pry the grass under the bushes,
- in the spring to process currants Bordeaux liquid (1%). In case of severe infection, repeat the treatment before flowering and after.
Currant twining is mycoplasmal disease. Affected bushes no longer bear fruit partially or completely. The name of the disease was due to the fact that the flowers of the disease become terry. Petals narrow, elongated, purple.
A sick currant has shallow young leaves, their shape changes. Leaf plates become three-bladed. Terry spreads with planting material or its pathogen is tolerated by the kidney mite.
Prevent the spread of the disease:
- remove infected bushes
- for reproduction to acquire high-quality material, process it before planting,
- destroy the kidney tick.
Currant Pests with a photo
Certain agricultural practices will help prevent pest infestation or reduce damage. A well-kept garden is a healthy garden. Currant health begins with planting.
It is necessary to have landing pits 2 m from each other. There will be no thickening. Reduced likelihood of pests and diseases. The main preventive measures are reduced to the inter-row digging and sanitary pruning of bushes (autumn, spring).
List of insects dangerous for currants:
- kidney mite,
- leaf gall aphid,
- willow shchitovka,
- currant narrow-bodied Zlatka,
- currant glass bowl
- kidney moth,
- fruit sawfly,
- black currant leaves,
- currant flower gallitsa.
Insect (0.3 mm). White Transparent. Reminds a worm. It is possible to determine infection of currants in the winter. There are buds that are larger than usual. The females spend the winter in them, laying eggs there in the spring. Hatching eggs from eggs, colonize new buds. The following year, these buds dry out, do not bloom.
Infection contributes to non-quality material for planting. The pest from infected bushes is carried by the wind, insects, gardener's clothes. Avoiding the disease helps the treatment of planting material. It is enough to hold the cuttings for 15 minutes in hot water at 45 ° C.
In the spring of May planting process with a solution of colloidal sulfur. June processing hold infusion of garlic. On a bucket take 100 grams of garlic. Shrubs inspect enlarged buds to remove. If most of the buds are infected, uproot the bush and burn it. Dig the soil.
Sheet gall aphid
Gallic aphid is a small insect. Yellow color. The eyes are red. Lays elongated black eggs. Larvae feed on leaf sap. Identify infection can be swelling on the leaves. Red and yellow.
Currant yield is reduced. Growth shoots stops. In July, winged individuals appear. Scatter. The number of infected currant bushes is increasing. The fight is:
- removal of infected leaves,
- treating bushes to flowering with nitrfen (3%),
- two times after the end of flowering, spray with a solution of karbofos (75 g per bucket of water) or for the prevention of decoction with tobacco powder (400 g per bucket of water).
Female willow shchitovki yellow-red, have a gray flap (3 mm). Eggs are laid under it up to 80 pcs. Larvae emerge from eggs when currants bloom. Stick to the bark. Suck the juice. A large concentration of shchitovki leads to the death of the plant.
Control measures. Peel the bark. Cut damaged shoots. With all types of flaps you can fight with the help of a mixture: soap, kerosene, water. Proportions:
- laundry soap - 80 g,
- kerosene - 0.5 tsp,
- warm water - 1 l.
Black currant zzlatka
This is a green beetle (9 mm). Beetle larvae 20 mm in size. White. They pupate in the spring. They eat passages in the bark.
Struggling by cutting out damaged branches. Conduct work every 2 weeks. Helps mechanical shaking bushes. Beetles fall on the fabric spread below. They are removed.
Currant glass bowl
The currant glass bowl is a butterfly. Harm inflicts in the caterpillar stage. They are white with a brown head. Winter is spent inside the shoot, pupating there. Branches damaged, caterpillars die.
- find and cut gnawed off branches
- mulch the circle around the bush with peat,
- when flowering is over, treat bushes with karbofos (75 g per 10 l of water).
Currant Kidney Moth
Butterflies of the bud moth are dark brown. Lay eggs make in unripe berries currants. Kidneys suffer from caterpillars hatched from eggs.
In the spring it is necessary to carry out a number of works:
- cut dried branches,
- to loosen the earth.
- sprinkle the bushes (until the snow melted) 10% karbofos.
The sawfly is a winged insect (4 mm). Yellow brown. Laying eggs when the currant blooms. Flowers and fruits suffer from the appeared larvae. Fruits turn black ahead of time. Wintering creeping into the ground.
In the fight will help digging up the ground under the bushes. Autumn is time to dig. In the summer, find damaged berries and destroy. Karbofos (1%) apply for double treatment (before and after flowering).
Galla leaf, stem, flower
Galliches resemble mosquitoes. Laying eggs make leaves, stems, flowers. Hit them. Weaken the plant. Will help:
- digging the ground (autumn, spring),
- a layer of mulch (put in spring),
- Two treatment with the preparation "BI-58 new."
For opponents of any chemistry fit the old, time-tested recipes:
- While the snow has not melted, pour currant bushes with boiling water. It helps from aphids, caterpillars, scutes, powdery mildew.
- All kinds of aphids. Pour 1 tbsp. l dry dandelion 0.5 liters. boiling water. Insist 2 days. Spray damaged aphids shoots. Or take 2 kg of pine needles to insist in 8 l. water during the week.
- From aphids and mites. Take horseradish (root, leaves). Grind. On the bucket 2 parts of water, part of horseradish. Insist 1 hour.
Processing of these infusions, spend 4 times over the summer. The effectiveness of infusions is not high. Recommend to use as a means of pests on planting currants with a low percentage of infection.
With a strong infection, recommend modern drugs:
- Actellic (highly toxic insecticide),
- Aktar (before flowering),
- Biotlin (systemic insecticide),
- Calypso (systemic insecticide).
Currant Pest Prevention
To prevent infection, will help prevention with the use of modern biological products. A well-established biological product of the fourth generation "Fitoverm". Up to 20 types of pests affecting fruit trees and berry bushes fall into the range of its action.
For the prevention of currant bushes handle for the season at least two times. The first time the bush has faded. The second and last when ripening berries for at least 2 weeks.
Tips for novice gardeners
Only a not lazy gardener gets a big harvest. To achieve health of the currant, you can subject to the rules:
- Proper landing (no closer than 2 m) between the bushes,
- Processing planting material (nemabak, actellic, infusions of tansy or wormwood),
- Sanitary pruning,
- Digging of the trunk circle and inter-row spacings
- Mulching in the spring of the trunk circle,
- Spraying with small infections with solutions prepared according to popular recipes,
- Spraying with chemical and biological preparations with a strong infection,
- Removal of heavily damaged bushes.
Scheme and technology of processing black currant
Black currant is one of the most popular berry crops in our country and is successfully grown not only by experienced, but also by novice domestic gardeners. The standard scheme of preventive measures involves not only meeting the processing time of berry plantations, but also the right choice, as well as the use of the drug.
For supporters of organic farming, the use of folk remedies is allowed, but such infusions based on natural ingredients do not always have adequate efficacy. In any case, experienced gardeners recommend the use of insecticides of the lowest danger class.The process of treating black currant bushes includes activities in early spring, during flowering, after flowering and after the end of the harvest.
The plant processing scheme is as follows:
- in March, before bud break, spraying is carried out with a fairly saturated solution of copper sulfate or copper chlorine. The processing should be threefold, with an interval of two weeks,
- at the stage of the appearance of the first leaflets, treatment with such preparations as Aktara, Decis, Angio, or BI-58 is done,
- at the stage of the awakening of the kidneys and at the first signs of flowering, treatment is carried out with a tank mixture based on Epin and humic solutions. The processing procedure is carried out three times, with an interval of a week
- at the stage of formation of the ovaries, it is recommended to carry out the treatment with the drug "Epin", which should be supplemented with foliar or root feeding of berry bushes,
- after harvesting, the plants should be treated with a mixture based on copper oxychloride and humic preparations.
In the late autumn period, Bordeaux mixture is processed, which is carried out after the removal of fallen leaves.
Why currants are sick
In order for a plant to get sick with one or several diseases at once, three factors are needed:
- weakening of immunity due to temperature fluctuations, drought or increased humidity, lack of nutrients (micro- and macroelements),
- the presence of the source of infection: in the soil, on the plant itself, on closely growing weeds brought by the wind,
- lack of nutrition and moisture.
Gardener can not affect the weather. But to create the right care: loosening the soil, weeding, watering or drainage, fertilizing, pruning, spraying, etc. - under his power.
The appearance of pests is also not always the outside. Larvae and adults hibernate in the ground and even in the kidneys of the currant itself (pochkite). Therefore, the spread of pests and the occurrence of disease prevented preventive measures.
The first treatment is carried out after the snow melts, even if at night frosts are promised. Do it in stages:
- Cut dried, sick, broken and pest-infected branches (nodes and thickening on the branch itself) to the trunk. If there are few branches and you want to get a harvest, you can prune to healthy wood. At the same time pay attention to the core of the branch itself. In a healthy plant, it is always bright. If the core is darkened or hollow, you will have to trim or remove to the root. With a lot of damage, it is necessary to remove part of the root: dig the ground, trim, clean, treat with garden brew, bury.
If the core of the currant branch is darkened - it needs to be cut
Bordeaux mixture is used for all types of currant blotch.
Another option for the early spring treatment of currants is spraying a solution of urea (50–70 g per 1 l of water). It is carried out at an air temperature of + 5 ° C, but is mandatory before the kidneys awaken. In this way, you can get rid of wintering pests and at the same time delay flowering, which will save currants from returnable frosts. Treated branches and earth around the bush.
Urea helps the bush survive the return frosts, as it delays flowering
The second treatment is carried out in the period of swelling of the kidneys. With this treatment, you can not hesitate, as the black currant is developing rapidly. It becomes warm, and the pests crawl out of their shelters. Insecticides (Karbofos, Kinmiks, Inta-Vir, etc.) are used according to the instructions. The sequence of actions is similar to the first treatment. Before spraying, the ground is loosened, and after the bunch of branches is untied for better illumination of the swelling buds.
For the third time, currant bushes are sprayed on young leaves. This and subsequent processing is carried out only with biological products, so that you can plant vegetables nearby, do not remember how many days have passed after processing, do not be afraid to pick leaves for homemade preparations. On all packages of fungicides (Fitosporin, Gamair and others) and insecticides (Fitoverm, Nemabakt, Actofit, etc.) there should be a “bio” sign.
Biological agents are used for the third treatment of currants.
If there is a need to process currants during flowering (in May), then after spraying the bushes, sprinkle with a solution of honey (1 teaspoon per glass of water) to attract insect pollinators. For example, if it was processed in the evening, it is sprayed in the morning, and vice versa.
In the third treatment in our plot, we simply powder the bushes and the ground around the ashes and repeat this every three weeks, excluding the flowering period. We plant odorous plants (marigolds, geraniums, even tomatoes) between currant bushes to disorient pests.
The first autumn treatment is carried out with insecticides in September, when the leaves have not yet crumbled, and the pests that have appeared over the summer have not yet hidden. If vegetables do not grow close by, you can use chemicals, otherwise biologics. The bush and the ground around it are cultivated.
The second treatment with fungicides is carried out after the foliage, sanitary and formative trimming of the bush. By this time, the beds are already empty and currants can be sprayed with any preparations.
To ensure that the processing is as efficient as possible, conduct proper training:
- Loosen the ground before watering or spraying. This will scare away earthworms, which can die from high temperature or concentration of the solution, and help preparations to penetrate to a depth sufficient to kill the diseases.
During loosening, weeds are harvested around the currant bush.
Spray inflorescences on a cloudy day, or in the morning, after the dew subsides, or in the evening at sunset, to avoid sunburn. Procedure:
- Gradually bypass the bush around the circumference. When spraying with spray guns, the jet should go from bottom to top.
- Treat the leaves from the top side, and then necessarily from the bottom.
- In the end, handle the middle of the bush on top.
In case of severe damage to the leaves, first spray the upper part, then the lower part.
All folk remedies are directed mostly to the prevention of diseases and repelling pests. For example, infusions of tobacco, garlic, onions, tansy, yarrow and celandine interrupt the smell of currants and make it bitter. But after another rain, the pests will return to the meal. For poor washing off, household soap or tar soap is added to the solutions, which will help them to hold out on the leaves and branches for 3-4 rains.
The soap helps the composition to cover the plant completely and prolong the effect in case of rain, and the smell of tar also repels pests.
For effective pest and disease control, gardeners add colloidal sulfur, manganese, and soda to solutions.
Photo gallery: what is added in addition to herbal infusions for spraying currants
For many years of gardening and gardening, we chose the most, in our opinion, effective method of currant protection - pouring boiling water with the addition of manganese to a pink hue on bare branches in early spring. Then sprinkle with ash every 2-3 weeks depending on the rain, and in the fall, before mulching with compost, it is treated with urea.
Video: how to handle currants in spring and autumn
There is a tick in the kidney. Its presence is indicated by rounded buds in early spring, which never bloom. This tick, feeding on currant juice, spreads terry virus, a flower brush due to which it will never give berries. With boiling water over the kidney mite - it helps a lot. Red blisters on black currant foliage are red-gall aphids, even that is disgusting - spraying the lower part of the foliage after picking berries is a good thing, and even better when it first appears.
Shepherd ants planted young females for aphids by escaping and even guarding it, and then the aphid concentrates the sap of a tree or a bush, evaporating excess water and leaving sugar - well, just a honeydew machine! And her ants are milked! The books say that ants simply fool with laughter when we try to fight with aphids when she already spun several leaves on the shoots, because at this time she was settled for a long time and safely, spread like an avalanche inside any leaves including sprayers. There is one single moment when aphids make sense to destroy by spraying: the first week after the escape of buds from buds. Preparations - Agrovertin or Fitoverm.
Firestorm winters in the soil under the bushes, in the spring it is necessary to block the exit to it, covering it with something. It also harms gooseberries. Chemistry still can not do.
Treating currant bushes from pests and diseases is not a very fun, but necessary action. Present your future harvest, and it will help to get pleasure even from such work.
Adding an article to a new collection
The harvest and health of the bush in the upcoming season depend on how timely and efficiently you will spend the spring processing of currants. It is impossible to postpone this matter indefinitely, because after the disclosure of the kidneys, many treatment methods will become unavailable.
The treatment of currants in the early spring is carried out both to combat diseases and to get rid of insect pests. Many of them awaken before the first leaves appear on the bush. It is in the hands of the gardener, because he can safely spray the bush with specialized preparations, without fear of damaging the delicate greens.
Common Currant Diseases
Currants and gooseberries are the most popular berry bushes in Russia, you can meet them at any summer cottage. There are not too many diseases threatening these crops, but, alas, it is enough to leave a gardener year after year without berries, and even without favorite bushes. The most common are:
- striped mosaic,
- reversion (terry)
- septoria (white spot),
- gray rot
- Spherekoteka (American powdery mildew).
Before you begin treatment, you need to find out exactly what kind of disease threatens your currant harvest.
Means for treating currant bushes from diseases
Fortunately, in recent years, the tendency to "shoot from a cannon on sparrows" in the fight against diseases of berry bushes has passed, and sparing preparations are increasingly appearing on the market. Of course, you can still get the "heavy artillery" that is used on the collective farm fields, but fewer and fewer remain willing to save the berries in this way. The most common currently are the following drugs:
- copper sulphate (3% solution),
- iron vitriol (5% solution),
- Bordeaux liquid (1% solution),
- an infusion of ash (100 g per 1 l of water to insist 3 days, strain, add 3 l of water),
Processing currant bushes should consist of several stages, especially if you saw signs of some diseases in the previous year.
- As soon as the snow melts, remove the fallen leaves from under the bushes, break the topsoil and spray the bushes with copper or iron sulphate.
- During the budding period, spray the bushes with 3% Bordeaux liquid.
- After flowering and after picking berries, spray bushes with 1% Bordeaux liquid.
Means for early treatment of currants from pests
Means for treating currants from pests can be divided into folk (natural) and specialized (chemical). The first are good for prevention, but they cannot cope with a large-scale defeat of the bush. Therefore, if you are a supporter of natural farming and do not want extra preparations on the site, carefully and regularly inspect the bushes and do not forget about preventive treatments.
As such tools can be used:
- boiling water (for treating currants from kidney ticks on frozen ground and unopened buds),
- soapy water
- infusions of tobacco, celandine, garlic, onion peel, nightshade or dandelion (spraying currant bushes every 4-5 weeks, starting with the awakening of the kidneys and until the harvest).
For those who have come to their senses too late or want to act for sure, there are more serious means:
- a solution of colloidal sulfur (10 g of the drug in 10 liters of water),
- Bordeaux liquid (1% solution),
- Karbofos (powder or emulsion),
How to treat currants from pests and diseases
To damage the pests, and not to themselves, when processing berry bushes, you need to follow a number of rules and regulations.
- Before spraying, remove all dry and diseased branches from the bush, clean the soil under it from the fallen leaves, rustle.
- Treat the bush in March-April, when the buds have not yet begun to open.
- Do not forget to spray the soil in the bristle circle (at a distance of 50-60 cm from the root).
- Spray in special clothes (a dressing gown, a headdress, gloves and a respirator).
- Choose for the procedure morning or evening of a dry windless day, when there is no precipitation in the forecast for the next 2-3 days.
- Dilute the selected drug strictly according to the instructions.
- At the time of treatment and the next 12-24 hours, remove children and pets from the site.
- Do not store the remnants of the diluted drug, and dispose of according to the instructions.
Remember that a currant for the awakening and disclosure of the kidneys quite a few warm sunny days. Therefore, visit it as soon as possible, if spring weather has already been established in your region, so as not to miss the terms of the first treatment.